In response to the recent, ever changing updates, and in response to the recommendations set forth by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Urban Outreach Denver will be making a few changes pertaining to Thursday night Community Dinners. We know many are wondering how COVID-19 will affect you, your church, and your volunteers. Here are some changes we will be making, effective immediately:
1. UO Denver remains committed to maintaining our presence in the Five Points neighborhood while taking extra measures that affect the way we serve dinner. We believe the church has a great opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus to a very vulnerable group during this time. We want to do everything possible to show hope and love while also protecting our community and our volunteers.
2. We will not be serving a sit-down dinner in our building and will instead be distributing to-go boxes and drinks that will be set up just outside of our doors. These meals will be bagged and will include a printed Christ story as well as resources for what to do if an individual thinks they are experiencing coronavirus symptoms.
3. Volunteers are still asked to arrive at 5:00 PM. However, rather than setting up the room for the sit-down dinner, our time will be spent boxing the catered meal and preparing drinks and setting up an outdoor distribution station as well as cleaning up from our preparation (wash dishes, put supplies away, clean counters).
4. We are asking all volunteers to wash their hands upon arrival and to wear gloves. If a volunteer is experiencing any respiratory symptoms, we ask they refrain from coming that evening.
5. We will be limiting transfer contact and will instead have everything ready to go for easy pick up and go distribution.
Of course, we will continue to closely monitor the situation and make any changes as needed. We will be closely following the city and state guidelines and therefore we will reevaluate on April 7, the day Denver Public Schools are currently scheduled to be closed until.
Thank you for your partnership and for loving our community and standing with us to be a beacon of light and to show the love of Jesus. We appreciate you so much!
About the Father’s Business,
Isaac & Jaime Olivarez